Sunday, February 6, 2011





It has been a few years since I have had anaquarium and would like to have one again. My last one was about 60 gallons, and I gave it away as I was frequently moving, which was not an easy thing for the fish. I gave the fish, aquarium and supplies to a more stable friend. It has been about 10 years now, and I have bought a house with my husband and we don't plan on moving, EVER. So, for my birthday, my super-awesome husband got me a wall tank. I am going to briefly display our adventure of our installation and set up (as soon as I figure out how to posts pics on this blog).
The tank arrived, but it would be a long time before it goes into place. The tank is plexiglass, apparently 17% stronger than glass and a bit lighter. Although, still quite heavy as it is large. 2 feet tall x 5 feet length x 8 inches depth. Not sure yet if it is scratch resistant. It was made in Hamilton, by Lantz Enterprizes. Good packaging, delivery, quality, nice to deal with. Here is their website: www.WallTanks.com
. The only thing I could suggest for improvement is that I
would like all the lid components to be removable so I could have more cleaning options, and so that I could fit all my decor in. However, these guys seemed to have thought of everything very carefully, so I imagine there could be some reason they have built it the way it is, like more structural support or something. Enough wining that my castle won't fit in.
Let's back up a bit. So the crate arrives, and I do mean a crate. No cardboard here, it was packaged in a chip-board wood box, all screwed together. Was fun to open. We kept the paper on the sides until all the renovation dust had settled too.
So let's get through the dust of it all. We had to make a huge hole in the wall for the tank to go it. The walls are plaster and lathe. Very dusty stuff. The wall had to be reinforced with many noggins and we went overkill by adding a secondary layer of wall support with metal studs. So our wall became 8 inches thick. We put a frame together to go in the wall, as per instructions that came with the tank. We made the frame was square and level, but when we put it in, we found out our floor wasn't level, and had to readjust for that. A few shims here and there did the trick. Then the electrical had to be redone to accommodate various plug locations above the tank. Of course,
all this work, which for some could be done in a weekend, for us took about two months, as we had to wait for our kid to be out of the house, for the loud pounding, sawing, dust settling, drilling, etc. Then I took a trip to Big Al's and picked up tons of aquarium related products, such as gravel, fishnet, food, sponge on a long stick.... A few days ago I added the gravel, and the last few days we added a bit of water, then a bit more. Yesterday I had to go to a hardware store and get a part to hook up the vacuum hose to my sink and today, we filled it! The trim is a bit tricky, as it is meant to only open at the top, but then you wouldn't be able to get at the pump to do regular maintenance, so we made all southern sides removable with velcro and left the northern side as it was meant to, with opening hinges on top trim only. Now we are just waiting for the water to settle. A few more days it will be ready for those baby fish that Jen's fish had!!!!

1 comment: